Tuesday, March 12, 2019

the pause between tides







You, my selkie, surrendered your skin, and
captured me in the silence between waves.

Your body aches for me, and I for you.
In the spray and tumble of waves, your
hand reaches and touches, and
I tremble, as the tidal ebb tugs and pulls.

Hesitant, uncertain, I reach for you, tangled
together, lost in the ocean and sky of your eyes

the moon swells and dwindles and
swells and dwindles, tides surge and
recede and surge and recede.

And then, my selkie, in the pause
between tides, your hand and arms,
and lips enfold me, envelope me in
the swell and billow and I lose
myself in the flow and flux of skin


Lost in your body, the tides recede and surge,
recede and surge, the moon dwindles and
swells, dwindles and swells.

And now, my selkie, the sea, and waves and
tides, call you. Your time, numbered by silver
swelling of the moon, dwindles to a final
surging tide, and I, helpless to hold back
the ebb and flow, despair.

The Fin Folk sing your name, and of your
return, and I of earth am dumb to song and
sea, I grieve the loss of your eyes and arms and body,

you slip into the tugging  waves of the failing
tide and return  to your home, to the Fin Folk, and
the release and healing salt of the sea.

The moon swells and dwindles,
dwindles and swells.
The tides recede and surge,
surge and recede.

No comments: